Sunday, September 27, 2009

Alternatives to Vegetarian Times Magazine


Several months ago I participated in a conversation in a forum about the Vegetarian Times Magazine. It seems that those who wrote on the topic were pretty well divided as to whether or not we liked it.

I actually like the Vegetarian Times. I stopped it a few years ago, it seemed like it was going downhill, articles weren't as interesting and many of the recipes would fail when I tried them. Now it's very much improved.

Although it's gotten more upscale over the years, and that bothers me a bit. But the recipes are often quite good. Even if I don't make them, they inspire me to try something on my own. I also use their Vegetarian Times cookbook, it has delicious recipes and not one hasn't turn out perfectly.

I especially like the vegan recipes they've added. I started out back in the good old granola days of the 70s, so I've seen the evolution from heavy dairy to more sensitivity to animal products.

For those who do not like it and would appreciate an alternative, I have found a magazine that I do like and want to share it with you. It is "Vegetarian", a British magazine.

Rather than the fussy, busy, labor intensive recipes in Vegetarian Times Magazine, this has family type dishes. Just good food. I was given the magazine by a friend and am going to check into getting a subscription. The issue I got was their summer issue with over 100 recipes that their chefs tested before using. The pictures are mouth watering. There are several that I plan to use this week.

Can you tell how excited I am about this! Several of the recipes are for take along picnic dishes that can be enjoyed hot, warm or any temperature between.

I've also at times been a member of vegetarian organizations that publish magazines. The North American Vegetarian Society publishes Vegetarian Voice, and the Vegetarian Resource Group publishes the Vegetarian Journal. I've found both to be terrific publications.

Both are strictly vegan, but even this dairy lover appreciates and enjoys a good vegan meal. The recipes are tasty and often quick and easy. Come to think of it, I don't know why I let my membership lapse!

Other Alternatives to Vegetarian Times Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment